David Warner declares, "I'm not a criminal."

David Warner / Google image

David Warner has praised the opportunity to request a review of his lifetime suspension from team captaincy in Australia, but he has also criticized the nation's cricket authority for taking so long to set up the procedure.

In 2018, after being found to have been the primary perpetrator in the Newlands ball-tampering scandal, opening batter Ryan Warner was given a one-year suspension from the game as well as a lifetime ban from any positions of authority.

Now that Cricket Australia (CA) has accepted revisions to its integrity code to enable players and staff to obtain relief from lengthy bans, the former Test vice-captain is able to ask for a review of the leadership ban.

The modifications were officially announced on Monday, nine months after the Australian Players' Union wrote to CA in February to request that Warner's suspension be lifted.

In comparison to the four days the board took to suspend him when the ball-tampering scandal broke in 2018, Warner said the lengthy process had been "traumatic" for him.

Warner told Australian reporters on Monday, "It's a little disheartening that when you make a decision in 2018, it takes four days, and this takes nine months.

It's fantastic to be in a situation where I have the chance to call the integrity unit, speak with them, and present my case.

David Warner press-conference / Google image

"It has taken a long time, and it has been stressful for me, my family, and everyone else involved. We don't need to go over what occurred again."

Warner, who received enthusiastic support from illustrious cricket commentators and former players, had made it clear that he wanted to be the captain of Australia. A three-person review panel will consider Warner's request to have his ban lifted under the revised code of conduct amendments.

Warner stated, "I'm not a criminal." "At some point, you should have the right to an appeal."

I agree that a restriction was put in place, however I think that a lifetime ban is a bit severe.

"No matter what, I'm a team leader." There is no need for you to see a C (for captain) or VC (for vice-captain) next to my name.

Warner has been considered as an unofficial leader in the Australian team, and he captained Sunrisers Hyderabad in the Indian Premier League.

The modification to the code of conduct came too late for Warner to be considered for the captaincy of Australia's One-Day International team, which Aaron Finch relinquished when he withdrew from the format in September.

A month after being named the ODI captain, Test captain Pat Cummins later stated he would be open to sharing the position with others, including Warner, to lessen the stress of being a multi-format player.

Despite a disappointing showing with the bat in the recent T20 World Cup in Australia, Warner is viewed as a possible successor to skipper Finch, who may want to step down after the home season.

David Warner ODI photos / Google image

Warner will play for the Sydney Thunder, who will be coached by Trevor Bayliss, in the BBL. They were captain-coach with Sunrisers Hyderabad. Warner said that if the lifetime ban had been changed in time and he was asked to captain Thunder, he would be eager to do it.

"I'm happy to put my hand up if they want me to do it," Warner remarked. "I've previously worked with TB (Bayliss)." I am familiar with most of the players, and they are aware of my knowledge of the game and my contributions. But if it was up to them and they wanted me to do it, I'd prefer to go as quickly as we can."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What it means to be human in the age of AI

I Love You All So Much, Christina Applegate Says in Her Emotional First Public Appearance Since Receiving Her MS Diagnosis